Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Its Time To Start!

I decided its about time to get this blog up and honking. Its been sitting, waiting for me to get my act together on the shop side of things for months now. I am slowly filling the shop stock but no reason not to be chatting anyway.

I come across some great people in the beading world. Beadweaving can be such a solitary game but when you meet the people you discover a real kinsmanship.

I am particularly passionate about tiny beads...the type that most people think you are nuts to work with because they feel like they have to squint to see them. EVERYONE says 'you must be so patient!'. I am pretty patient but then again tiny beadweaving has grand rewards.

Its rhythmic and there is a real meditative quality.

I love that place of quietude while I pass from bead to weave to bead to weave.

I also love the creation of something from a blank space, row upon row it slowly buids up. There is real satisfaction in it.

The first piece I ever made was a butterfly from Sheilah Cleary's book on beading. I don't even know where it is now but it was a big turning point. I was in Australia on holiday and walked into a bookstore and saw the book and just went 'that's what I am going to do', and I have never looked back...short and simple. A whole new direction of interest and pleasure...funny how things can just start out that way.

0 comments: